Posted by: c1 | 2009-02-06

Am I crazy?

Hi there.

My 1 year old son has broken my heart! Last night he woke up crying, and when I tried to console him, he screamed even more. When his dad took him, he stopped. I tried to take him, then he screamed again as if I was going to kill him. This broke my heart.
I usually work half day, but I' ve had to work until five this last week due to the company being short staffed. Could this be why he hates my guts? Am I just imagining things? I really feel terrible. I feel really unloved.

That must have been very upsetting for you. He surely had a bad dream, and depending on the content, may have felt comforted by Dad this time, and maybe you somehow acidentally reminded him of some aspect of the dream. I am certain that he doesn't hate your guts ; at that age that's also a capacity he probably doesn't yet have, apart from having no reason for this. He was terrified of something awful and shadowy in his dreams,. and you are now troubled, indirectly, by similar shadows, perhaps coloured by feeling a bit guilty about being away from him with the recent overtime work. Be sure that he loves you, and he will soon show it again.

Posted by: Jane | 2009-02-06

Children change like this all the time, one week mommy is the hero, and they dont want to know daddy at all. The next week its the complete opposite. Jordan' s probably right, maybe it was a bad dream and he needed big strong daddy. I' s sure he loves you very much

Reply to Jane
Posted by: Jordan | 2009-02-06

Oh shame man. Its awful when you feel that you are the reason, but I' m sure you are not. Maybe he had a dream about something bad and he needed dad to console him. My heart goes out to you. But please, don' t ever feel that he doesn' t love you. You are his whole life at the moment. And you' ll see, it just gets better and better. I love babies.

Reply to Jordan