Posted by: scorpio | 2008-11-17

Am I bipolar?

I am so upset. This guy I was seeing told me I have bipolar coz we had a fight on Saturday (first one). He said he had an ex with the mental condition so he can pick up the signs!! Should I go see someone? I was having anticipatory anxiety coz I was cycling the 94.7 and had not done a lot of training. I do admit for taking my anxiety out on him. He also said that a relationship works when both parties sort out their issues seperately, so when they see eachother they are happy. I speak to him about things that worry me and he said that I am negative and that is the first sign of bipolar. Sheesh, to me that is not how a relationship works. You must be able to go thru ups and downs with the person you are in a relationship with. One cannot be happy and chirpy all the time. Am I wrong? Im so upset. Please advise. Thanks.

What people say during a fight should be taken with so large a pinch of salt that it'd be bad for your blood pressure. This guy was trying to be hurtful, and you let him succeed. What he knows about psychiatry could be written in large letters on a grain of rice. Dump him and wait to find someone who isn't a quack and who doesn't blame you for a shared argument

Posted by: Scorpio | 2008-11-17

No I don`t think there is anything wrong with you, Your boybriend however has thi horrible fear, and perhaps he has been a bit traumatised by his prev relationship.

Reply to Scorpio
Posted by: Ruby | 2008-11-17

I think his jumping to conclusions. to be bipolar you basically suffer from two combinations of emotional problems characterized by extreme emotions, firstly you can have periods of extreme mania...when you are manic its similar to being high, hyperactive, (google the term for more info) then secondly you will have extreme depression - clinical depression. Being negative is NOT the first sign of bipolar either.

Seems lots of people are jumping on the bipolar bandwagon lately with lots of incorrect diagnosis. Go see a shrink and see what they say, but bare in mind if you look for something hard enough you will find it.

I leave you with this thought " there' s no such thing as sanity and thats the sanist fact." 

Reply to Ruby