Question
Posted by: Mandy | 2010/10/22

Am I being unreasonable

My hubby got retrenched and we fell behind with rent and all that jazz. ........He started a temp job now only....Anyway we are forced to move. We do have our “ own”  property so we moving back to it. BUT.......We have dogs and we moving into a townhouse, it''s ROTTWEILERS. I advertised the dogs on the net and people are interested in them. Hubby is dead cross with me coz he wants to “ give”  the dogs to his uncle. According to him, his uncle is “ JUST GONNA LOOK AFTER THEM” .........So basically are we then moving again real soon, as it is we have been moving to 5 diff places in 5 years time. Every year we must move coz he is so unstable and in and out of jobs. Either being retrenched, or contract expires. His uncle got dogs, but “ pavement”  specials.....Dogs that grow up in the street, eat anything. So we paid 1000.00 for our dogs and I want to sell them for same amount. Yes we love them dearly and our hearts are very very sore, but what can we do. He said I must just do as I please and dropped the phone in my ear. None of his family can give him a cent, the only thing they do is gossip about him. The last time we had a dog and we had to move ALSO in a townhouse and he “ GAVE”  the dog to his ex girlfriend''s brother. (Boerboel) I mean really. We do not have a cent today, still a week before I get paid, plus it''s only my salary this month. Someone can come and fetch the dogs tomorrow and give us the money. Well I said yes it''s fine. Am I cruel, evil, unreasonable. I am sure it''s gonna be a BIG FIGHT AGAIN TONIGHT..........

Interesting, isn't it, how many people post a wide range of stories here, but asking " Am I being unreasonable?" If only the really unreasonable people in the world ever worried about that !
Anyhow, presumably your husband feels that if he gives the Rotts to his uncle, he will be able to eventually get them back when things get better financially, whereas of course if he sells them or gives them to a stranger, he won't be able to get them back. So its understandable - will the price you'd get for them significantly help with the financial situation ? Sounds like it would, and this should surely be an important aspect of the solution you're looking for.
And surely a major issue is whether the dogs will be best looked after if sold. Usually, people work harder to look after something they paid for.
Can he even aford to feed the dogs well until the uncle takes them - can Uncle feed them well ? Ask him to think about the dogs' welfare first

1