Question
Posted by: Patricia | 2011/01/29

Am I being childish?

I went to a girls'' only party at a friend''s house yesterday. There were just three of us: me, my friend and a friend of hers called M.

Everything was going fine until my boyfriend showed up (not knowing it was a girls only event.)

He looked at M and thought she looked familiar. She also rememebered his face well. Turns out they had gone to university together.

Well, M seemed to have had a crush on him or to be infatuated because she acted very strange from the moment he showed up.

Then, he suggested we play a game based on questions and answers, and he and the other girls were particularly interested in having the questions be about sex (like what do you like to hear in bed, and the like).

I played too, but while I avoided answering the questions with very serious and personal answers, my boyfriend was as revealing as he could.

I got a little upset because one thing I love in a boyfriend is to know that I know his sexual and other personal preferences better than his female friends or mine. Besides, I assume he found M beautiful and was kind of trying to impress her.

I know from a conversation I was having with her before he showed up that she''s single and doesn''t know where to look for a boyfriend. So I was thinking maybe I should give up on my boyfriend for her. They would probably make a better couple than me and him do, plus I wouldn''t have to worry about his lack of privacy.

But then I worry too. Are all men like this? Is it unreasonable to want a person who will keep their sex life private?

Frankly, it all sounds very childish. He was showing off, and you were a bit too sensitive. ( "I assume he found M beautiful... ") To assume you should give up your bf to her ( is she really so lame she couldn't find one for herself without expecting a donation, like a donated kidney ? ) seems really excessive.
All men are not like this, nor are all women like this. ALl men are not like anything in particular - we are individuals. Don't over-generalize from one trivial evening playing a foolish game.
And patricia, I understand your discouragement, but if the sexes were not different, at least one of them would become superfluous.

6
Posted by: Romany | 2011/01/31

You are NOT being childish.
Your boyfriend is the one being stupid.
he obviously need to impress other women and is doing that by telling them stuff about you (both of you) sex life.
No.... I think he is too immature for and obviously stuill needsto " play" .
No, all men are not like this.
The challenge is to find " Mr Right" . Enjoy

Reply to Romany
Posted by: Truth | 2011/01/30

You are all childish. None of you are teenagers, some have been to varsity. Rather dump your boyfriend and girlfriends and start mixing with grown ups who would not even consider a childish matric game as personal interaction.As for offering to pass your boyfriend on to someone more needy like a second hand car,this shows no emotional intellect.
Is this not another example of varsity graduates ill equipped for real life?????????

Reply to Truth
Posted by: Wise Owl | 2011/01/30

I really did not like the tone of this get together once your idiot boyfriend arrived ! HE was being childish and totally out of order and its a pity you did not recognise this immediately and put a stop to it before it started. He does not sound like someone who displays sensitivity and respect towards you and I would have a long hard look at him and his ways and decide if you want to go down that road. Who the hell wants to discuss sexual matters in a gathering like that ? Do me a favour !! All men are NOT the same, but anyone, man or woman does not change, there will always be that underlying tendency to behave in this stupid manner. Take care !

Reply to Wise Owl
Posted by: Maria | 2011/01/30

No all men are not like this. I think the way your boyfriend behaved was really disrespectful of you, and I suggest you gently raise the subject with him. If he cannot see your point of view then perhaps it is time to look for a man who is mature and who can really appreciate you for who you are.

Reply to Maria

Posted by: Patricia | 2011/01/29

The older I get, the more disappointed I am in men. It seems so unfair that men and women have to be so different.

Reply to Patricia