Question
Posted by: Addicted? | 2008/09/22

Am I an Addict? I think I need help!

Hi Doctor

I am a 40 year old male and I think I am addicted to sex. I think I am addicted because I can' t stop myself, even in situations where I think I may be putting myself at risk of STDs. I told a close friend about this and he told me there is no such thing as sexual addiction, but in my experience I have trouble saying no whenever the opportunity arises. I would really like to learn to have some more self-control over my sexual impulses. Married guys manage to control themselves and I want to be able to do that, even though I am single and unattached, otherwise I will probably end up HIV positive one day. Please, is there someone I could talk to about this? I really need help.

Absolutely, you can try looking for a local branch of sex addicts anonymous (contact any local drug rehab centre and they should have details for SAA or SLAA (sex & love addicts anonymous). ALso it would be important to get some professional help - this can be from a psychologist, psychiatrist, social worker, counsellor who is experienced in working with these sorts of issues. You could get a name through SAA/SLAA or from a substance addictions centre, as many have experience in working with sexual addiction too.

Whether or not sexual addiction 'exists' is a matter of contention, however, there are other people like you who have difficulties with sex and feel that their lives are becoming out of control. Given you seem to feel this way now, I strongly urge you to seek help before your behaviour does end up with life-altering consequences.

2
Posted by: irritable | 2008/09/29

I think you are stupid (at times) more than anything - i mean you can have as much sex as you want provided you use protection! why on earth would anyone expose themselves to HIV??? grow up and get yourself together!

Reply to irritable
Posted by: Betty | 2008/09/22

Try the cybershrink

Reply to Betty