Question
Posted by: Gesiggie | 2010/02/17

Am I allowed to take meds before sedation?

I have to go in to Theatre for Gastroscopy on Friday (Barret' s surveillance) and I am very stressed out about it. The last time I had a T.E.E. the Aneathetist didn' t give me enough Sedation and I had a panic attack and after the 3rd time that I pulled his equipment out of my mouth (and there were a nurse trying to hold me down) he allowed me to sleep!

I am scarred that something like that will happen again. Am I allowed to take Aterax or something that morning, just to calm me? When I am anxious my tummy starts hurting and I get nausious and palpitations and I am not going to see the Doc before I am in Theatre and then it will be to late.

Thanks CS.

OK, Don't start panicking ! Make sure your doctors and anaesthetist know all about your currrent condition AND about whatever happened last time round. Do NOT take something on your own, as this could interfere with the anaesthetics and other drugs they might give you, with potentially serious consequences - discuss your fears with them, and let them give you a safer sedative beforehand, to help you face the brief procedure more calmly.
It is routine to give Premed to people before ops or procedures.
So, don't act on your own ( Aterax certainly could cause problems, because it is very sedative and would ADD to the sedative effects of whatever other drugs are used to sedate you, and perhaps unpredictably so - talk to your doc and remind him of the problems last time - he should have remembered this and may already have taken precautions about providing suitable Premed - and ask his office for the name of the anaesthetist, and call the anaesthetist with the same information, so he can also prepare something for you to take ahead of time.
Then it should all go fine.
As Liza says it is a professional requirement that the anaesthetist see and talk with you before any op or procedure.

2
Posted by: Liza | 2010/02/17

The anaethetist has to talk to you before the procedure, before you' re in theatre to ensure that he gives the correct amount of sedation and to ensure that you haven' t had previous bad experiences with sedation. If he doesn' t come and chat to you before the time - he is being VERY irresponsible. Some of them just meet you in theatre and then want to quickly know everything - I for one don' t like this. It' s far too easy to miss something like that. Some years ago I went under and after I woke up and apparently sat up, I went under again and stopped breathing. They had to push a pipe down my throat to get me breathing again. That hurt for weeks afterwards. Now I always advise the doc to give me a longer period to recover and to ensure that I' m really fully awake before leaving me.

As for the Aterax, I doubt whether it would cause a problem, but CS would know best.

Good Luck
Liza

Reply to Liza

Then it should all go fine.