Posted by: M | 2009-08-03

My mom (72) has been put on Alzheimers medication after an EEG &  MRI. She got a score of 26/30 at the Psychiatrist &  24/30 at the Neurologist. A specialist checked the arteries to the brain with a scan &  determined that both arteries are blocked. One 50% &  one 25%. This seems more feasible to me. The MRI showed pieces of the brain dying off due to lack of oxygen, also demyelination. The EEG had no clear problems. If it is cholesterol blocking the arteries, are we not wasting time with the Alzheimers medication? Is there any way to get the arteries open? She has been on Cholesterol medication for a number of years.

Dear M
With age, one gets narrowing and hardening of the arteries as well as narrowing due to cholesterol plaques - there is nothing one can really do to open up the arteries in the brain - cholesterol medication will prevent arterosclerosis but not undo the damage already there. If the carotid arteries in the neck is blocked - it can sometimes be opened with an operation called endarterectomy. Dangers of this is that this procedure can cause strokes if small pieces of plaque breaks loose and end up blocking arteries in the brain.