Question
Posted by: M | 2009-09-06

Alzheimers again

Hi Read your reply to me re Risperdal etc, thank you. Another question: I have been reading up on the Alzheimers thing. I think my mom has a combination of Vascular dimentia &  Alzheimers. She has been to a psychiatrist, neurologist &  specialist physician. They did an MRI &  EEG &  came up with Alzheimers. The arteries to the brain are blocked, one 50% &  one 25%. She has had two " episodes"  were she just passes out. After the fact she is very tired &  cannot remember well at all. I think they are mini-strokes, any ideas?

Such a combination can, of course, exist. And with the degree of arterial blockage you describe, a vascular dimension is likely --- the tests may reflect the degree of blockage of the large vessels, but one can assume the small vessels are likely to be similarly afflicted. SHe could be having small strokes ( I rmember hearing a lecture by the distinguished senior physician who first seriosuly described these, based on his own problems and experiences ). But there could presumably also be faintingepisodes due to a generalized shortage of blood flow to the brain. Are there any particular features of what she may have been doing just before these ? There are blood pressure problems, potentially, too. "Hardening of the arteries" as they used to call it can raise BP. but on the other hand one may need a raised BP to get the blood througgh narrowed vessels, and anything which temporarily drops BP may lead to insufficient blood flow, and thus a faint. If one stands up rapidly having been sitting or lying down, there is normally a transient drop in BP, which could be exaggerated in these circumstances, and it's wise to rise more slowly and gradually.

1
Posted by: M | 2009-09-07

In both cases she was busy doing stuff, upright &  moving about. First one, cleaning the work surface, second one opening the security gate. She does have raised BP, and I didnt think about the smaller arteries being blocked also. Will make another appointment with the specialist physician. Thank You

Reply to M