Question
Posted by: ernestine | 2010/09/01

alzheimer''s

Sorry cyberdoc, but the alzheimer''s expert just doesn''t answer.
My dad developed alzheimer''''s in his 70''''s even though he was of a cheerful disposition, still working part-time, socially active, did all the things they say you should do to avoid it. I am terrified that am heading the same way even though I am only 59 (female). Who knows, my dad could have started that early but didn''''t realise it. I am not able to concentrate as well as I used to, I don''''t learn new things as quickly, I lose my car in parking lots, I switch off during social conversations so that I miss half of them, I find all intellectual pursuits more of a challenge than before when they used to be second nature to me. I am still able to understand as well as before but I really have this feeling that my previously high intelligence is falling away. I know that I must look after my health, exercise, learn new things and so on. Is there a neurological examination I can have to see why my brain is slipping up? Whatever it is, I want to catch it early.

Hallo Ernestine
Was your dad diagnosed with Alzheimer's specifically - he may have had a dementia due to small strokes (micro strokes) or other medical causes? You can have yourself tested by a qualified rater (usually a psychiatrist or a neurologist) If you let me know in which area you live, I could maybe give you names of possible doctors to contact.

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/09/01

Hallo Ernestine