Question
Posted by: eve | 2010-01-24

alzheimers

My dad had alzheimers in his last plus minus 12 years (he died at 83). I am now 60 and sometimes at a loss for a word or absent-minded or have poor memory or even, occasionally, suddenly feel I am lost (geographically speaking) and have to wait a while to reorientate myself What tests do I get done to screen for alzheimers and are there any preventative medications?

Eve

You should consult a neurologists for tests and a CT scan of your brain. There is no cure for Alzheimers but early diagnosis and good understanding is very beneficial. There are genetic markers that will indicate your risk for developing Alzheimers. Your doctor will do blood tests to determine this factor.