Posted by: Anri | 2011-03-25

Always tired and hungry

Hi doc, please advise..

I''m constantly hungry, even after eating lunch/dinner. I don''t eat in front of the tv and I tend to eat slowly, so I know how much I am eating and I should not feel this way! I also have horrible cravings, chocolate,veggies, steak, ice cream, candy, oats...they are pretty random and they don''t go away.

I have never struggled with food and my diet has not really changed at all, but these cravings and constant feeling that I''m starving is driving me up the walls!

I''m also really tired lately. I guess fatigued would be more accurate, for the past month or so I struggle to do simple tasks such as washing the dishes, I get about half way through and then I have to sit down for bit. I feel as if I might collapse if I stand for too long.

I also struggle to concentrate or focus on something for more than few minutes and even fall asleep like this sometimes, but to spite the fact that I am always so tired and drained I have trouble sleeping at night, around 9pm I get restless and usually only get to sleep around 3am, which is frustrating. If I do go to bed that late I sleep through to at least 9am if not later, so I do get enough sleep but still tired when I get up. If I go to bed before I start getting so restless I wake up extremely early which just makes me tired again later in the day.

I also gained around 10kgs this past year but my weight has been pretty constant for the past two months. So basically I gained weight before all of these sleeping/eating problems started and since they have been around my weight has not changed, which makes no sense at all?

I''m only 20 years old, what could cause all this? My mother and grandparents all have diabetes, but on the few occasions that we have tested my blood sugar level has been normal.

Sorry for the long post, I''m just really frustrated and not sure how to discuss this with my doctor without sounding silly or getting over emotional.

You are absolutely correct to be concerned but unfortunately, chronic fatigue has numerous causes and will have to be investigated. Blood tests, as well as stool analysis have to be done to systematically address your problem. Please refer to the following link: Read this link carefully for a better understanding about chronic fatigue syndrome.

Posted by: simone | 2011-03-26

I bet cyberdoc tells you to check blood sugar and thyroid. Your thyroid could be getting lazy. then there is a condition called insulin resistance where you are not yet diabetic but your cells don''t get to use sugar properly. Just try to avoid all refined carbs and to have every meal balanced across all the food groups, even when you crave only one thing. You should try to eat all low-GI foods. Google them, there are lists everywhere.

Reply to simone
Posted by: Anri | 2011-03-25

Considering that I have felt this way for a couple of months and my period has already came and gone normally this month I doubt that would be the problem :(

Reply to Anri
Posted by: Jacky | 2011-03-25

Have u done a pregnancy test ??

Reply to Jacky