Question
Posted by: KEL | 2012-09-27

ALWAYS TIRED

Hi there,

For the last 6 months I have been exceptionally tired and I am not too sure why.

I have seen my GP and he has run tests which have all come back clear. I am sleeping fine at night, but cannot get up in the mornings, At about 1 or 2 o''clock in the afternoons I need to sleep, if the opportunity is there I will, and it will be for an hour or so, then by 9 in the evenings, I need to go to bed.

During the day I feel slightly disorientated and I am not always able to think clearly.

I am 32, and feel that for my age I should have a lot more energy. I am slightly overweight, by 8kgs, but can''t muster the strength to excercise. If I do manage to excercise, I am completely exhausted after.

Sometimes I feel that this is all in my mind as there aren''t any other obvious symptoms. Could this be diet related? I have quite a stressful job, but not too sure if that would cause this.

Please help, this is having a huge impact on my everyday life.

Thank you.

Expert ImageSleep Expert

My first concern is about the quality of your sleep. It sounds as though you are spending enough time in bed, but if the quality of the sleep is not good, then you will not get the benefit of the sleep.

The most common cause (about 10% of the population!) is a breathing problem during sleep, but there are other causes as well. This should be looked into by a sleep doctor. I am confident the problem can be sorted out, and it is most certainly not "all in the mind"!