Question
Posted by: Chicita | 2011-02-02

Always tired

During the week I usually get between 7 and 9 hours sleep (never less than 7) yet I struggle to wake up and once awake, I feel tired and drained throughout the day. Also, no matter how tired I am I usually wake up during the night for no reason. On the weekend, if I don''t set an alarm or if no one wakes me up I very easily sleep until 12-1pm (regardless of what time I go to bed)! I started going to gym a few months ago and I have been sleeping better at night since I started but I''m still always tired during the day. I usually get a bit more energy at around 8-9pm. I don''t eat particularly unhealthily. Could this be caused by my diet? I just really don''t know what I can do to feel more energised during the week and to feel like I have gotten a decent, restful sleep.

Expert ImageSleep Expert

No, diet will probably not be the answer.

You are either getting too little time in bed, or the quality of your sleep is not adequate. 7 hours may not be enough for your particular needs.

It is perfectly normal to wake during the night - as long as you can get back to sleep in a reasonable time.

You will probably need help from a sleep doctor to work out if there is some condition affecting the quality of your sleep. Most of these conditions are quite easy to treat, and you should be able to be very effectively helped.

2
Posted by: Mo | 2011-02-17

I am also always tired during the day. I go to gym in the morning and evening. I wake up at 4.30 and sleep arround 9pm. Sometimes my head is so heavy and I feel sleepy. I have a baby who is thirteen months who wakes up 2-3 times at night. Please help

Reply to Mo
Posted by: Sleep expert | 2011-02-03

Reply to Sleep expert