Posted by: P | 2010-04-09

Always rushing to the bathroom

I''m a live-in nanny. Long story short.. 6-year-old boy, 3-year-old girl + parents. Boy has always had mild diarrhea, girl has firmer stool, but sometimes diarrhea as well. Doctors thought it might be gluten, but a gluten-free diet didn''t help. Foods he''s allergic to have been avoided. Now I''ve never been a person who gets diarrhea ever, I''ve always been on the constipation side. BUT the moment I came to live with this family, I got diarrhea. It makes me think the problem is their diet. I''ve been here for a year and of course now I try to eat only the things I know are okay for me and avoid the rest. But occasionally I still get diarrhea. The kids, however, still eat a bit of everything on the table. So the boy''s health varies, depending on what there is to eat. For a few months, he was not so bad (mashy stool but not liquid), but now he''s back to rushing to the bathroom after every meal.

Now the diet is all organic and avoids white bread in favour of quinoa, spelt, buckwheat and other alternative things, brown rice instead of white, sprouts, berries, apples, bananas, raisins and other dried fruits, nuts, rice milk, seeds, various oils, herbs and spices and meat, fish, eggs, and lots of vegetables/legumes/greens.

Personally, I think there must be too much fibre in those grains etc and way too many berries and dried fruits in this diet.

Just to exemplify, let me tell you what the boy ate today.
Breakfast: quinoa puffs with rice milk (probably nothing wrong with quinoa, but the puffs themselves are hard to chew properly and float in his diarrhea water afterwards.. and mine too, if I eat them).
Lunch: an apple, almonds and soy chocolate milk
Snack: wheat slice of bread with jam
Dinner: Salad (lettuce, avocado, raw carrots, apple cider vinegar and oil).
I convinced not to eat raisins today (his passion), otherwise he would have had about 1/5 cup or more on top of that.

I think it''s no wonder he has diarrhea. He doesn''t eat enough (or right type of) rice/ pasta, bread, etc in comparison to the amount of fruits/vegetables (but basically raisins, except for today). And he doesn''t like beans or meat or fish or eggs. No cheese either. Doesn''t like dark green vegetables (almost only carrots and lettuce)..

While his sister eats more bread, pasta, rice, meat, fish, eggs, beans, dairy products, raw vegetables, some fruits (but more like apple, melon, banana, etc. no raisins or other dried fruits) and she doesn''t suffer from such severe diarrhea.

Am I right in thinking so or does this sound like unlikely to be the cause of his diarrhea?

If a doctor has already seen them to exclude any pathological reason for their diarrhee, it is most likely their extreme diet that is causing the problem.

Good Luck.