Question
Posted by: always panicking | 2008/09/15

Always panicking

I' m getting continuous panic and anxiety attacks after i was diagnosed with an occupational disease 8 years ago. I had to give up my job i loved very much and i' m currently working in an administration job. I don' t have any job satisfactory but there is nothing else i can do. I have a 6 year old and it seems as if the situation worsened after her birth as i am forever feeling guilty, feeling that i am not a good mother. I constantly feel depressed and i dont want to turn to antidepressants or drugs. I get panic attacks in church, while i' m driving, in public places. I try not to avoid the situations but it seems to get worse. I will start getting palpitations, palms sweating, irregular breathing, I have tried numerous techniques but it only works for a while, then it starts again. Will I have these attacks forever and who can I talk to to help me through all my emotions. I' m happily married, my child is doing well, i have a supportive family so why am i still feeling so useless? Please help, I' m desperate to sort this monster out in my life.

I presume the occupational disease is some physical problem ? Chronic anxiety disorder and/or panic disorder is very responsive to treatment, with meds such as some also used to treat depression, and CBT counselling. And these problem often co-exist with Depression, which responds well to similar treatments --- and a PND, a depression arising after childbirth, is quite common. DO see a good local psychiatrist for a full assessment and diagnosis, and then you can work out a treatment plan and get rid of the monster and return to ordinary life. There is no reason at all why these attacks need to persist with proper treatment, which should include meds AND the CBT counselling