Posted by: Betsy | 2009-07-16

Always hungry - Ugent help needed

For the past few weeks i have lost, gained, lost and gained weight without much of an effort (bad wheel!!). I have not been dieting when I lost. It is not my periods either. However, I have and increase in sugar cravings which has been coming and going. This is new to me. I am using multivitamins and an artififcial sweetner in the hope to stabilize my insulin but I am failing. On monday I weighed 63 and today I weigh 66. I am ALWAYS hungry and I promise you I am not emotinally eating. How did I get here and how do I stop this fast! I am afraid next week I will be weighing 70 kgs. HELP ASAP please.

Dear Betsy
If you are experiencing rapid changes in weight, then this could be due to water retention which may be caused by high salt intakes. You do, however, mention that you are trying to stabilise your insulin levels? is this because you have been diagnosed as insulin resistant? If this is the case then I would recommend that you use a low-fat, low-glycaemic index (GI) diet. Such a diet will help to control your blood sugar and insulin levels and prevent sugar cravings, and also promote weightloss. I would recommend that you consult a clinical dietitian for a low-GI, low-fat diet. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. In the meanwhile, click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Regular daily aerobic exercise for at least 30 min per day can also help you to improve your insulin and glucose levels, so start doing an aerobic exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life).

Posted by: Sam | 2009-07-28

I also am always hungry, my BMI is between 20 and 21, my weight also fluctuates, i' ll have a huge meal (i mean HUGE) and then in 30 mins i' ll be hungry again, i' v even thought it might be worms, but i,v taken deworming tablets but i still get hungry all the time... whats wrong with me??

Reply to Sam
Posted by: Betsy | 2009-07-16

Thanx doc.

No insulin resistance. Heard that that could be a possibility.
My BMI is still ok 23. It is just that I have never had this problem before. I do one hour spinning atleast three times a week.

Reply to Betsy
Posted by: Betsy | 2009-07-16

lol..Not a chance.
Never had sex. I hope its not diabetes.

Reply to Betsy
Posted by: Jo | 2009-07-16

Are you pregnant perhaps?

Reply to Jo