Question
Posted by: Mazulee | 2012/01/23

Always hungry but on eating plan

Hi Doc,
I have started bootcamp in the beginning of Jan five days a week and its going well so far. I am overweight (89kgs and 1.60m tall). I am on an eating plan which was provided by a bootcamp dietician but my problem is that I am hungry all the time! Nothing seems to fill me up and think its due to the fact that I am now exercising. I do know from way back that when I exercise, my appetite increases a lot. I have a huge appetite and the 6 portions a day is not working for me. I am so miserable because I’ m always thinking about food. I eat very healthily (variety of fruits, veggies, nuts etc… ) and do drink lots of water. Can I get appetite suppressants? Please help, I am desperate as I do want to loose weight but want to give up the eating plan.

Dear Mazulee
Please excuse me for only answering your question today, but my home and office were struck by lightning and my poor PC was literally 'fried'. My new PC was delivered this morning!
Seeing that your BMI = 34,8 which is in the obese range, it would be a good idea if you could lose at least 15 kg to get back to a BMI of 29 which is in the overweight range and then gradually aim to get back to a normal BMI of 25 (weight 64 kg) . Are you Quite sure that the dietitian at this boot camp is registered with the Association for Dietetics in SA, and is not just a gym instructor? I agree with you that anyone who does very strenuous exercise needs to have an adequate energy and carbohydrate intake. This is why I wonder if your dietitian at that boot camp is for real??? Ask her to show you her registration papers with ADSA. If this dietitian is not a registered dietitian, then I would recommend that you consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area) for a well balanced slimming diet that provides sufficient energy and carbohydrates to sustain your exercise programme. In the meanwhile you can try using an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre slimming diet, which should provide sufficient carbs for your needs (click on 'Diet & Nutrition' at the top of this page, then on 'Healthy Diets' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet). I am personally not in favour of appetite suppressants particularly when you are doing strenuous exercise because some of the ingredients in both prescription and over-the-counter slimming pills can interfere with your blood pressure and heart function which can cause problems when you exercise intensely.
So check the boot camp dietitian, if she is not a registered dietitian, find one and ask her for a balanced slimming diet (or try out the diet on this Website) and keep up the good work with the exercise.

1

Dear Mazulee