Question
Posted by: Louisa | 2010-03-04

Always hungry

I am 25, 1.62m and weigh about 54kg. My problem is that I am always hungry. I don''t thik I have naturally fast metablism (I have gained 3kg in the last 4 months), so what else could be the reason for my constant hunger? I am trying to get my body in better shape, but this really makes it difficult. Most days I eat:

Breakfast: one bowl All-Bran flakes with fat-free milk or one bowl oats with fat-free milk and 2 tsp sugar + tea/coffee (no sugar)

Snack: 1 fruit (apple, pear, etc.) or 100ml fat-free yoghurt

Lunch: one bowl fresh veggie soup or tuna salad or roast veggies on low GI bread

Snack: fruit or yoghurt (as above)

Snack after work: 2 rye thins with sugar-free peanut butter or a fruit (usually both)

Dinner: heaped plate pasta with sauce or protein and lots of veggies.

I try to eat healthily, but often find myself eating plain pasta or bread even after meals. Sometimes at dinner I can eat twice the recommended portion size and I oly stop because there''s no food left, not because I''m full. I also wake up very hungry. What''s going on here? I don''t think it''s due to exercise. I work out 3-4 times a week for about 45 minutes at a time.

Dear Louisa
Seeing that you present BMI = 20,6 which is below the ideal of 22 (for which you would need to weigh 57 kg, your body may be telling you that you are not giving it enough fuel, hence the hunger. The diet you describe is actually a good one and reasonably balanced, so by all means continue eating these foods, but don't starve yourself. Eating plain pasta or bread will not cause weight gain seeing that carbs without fat only provide 16 kJ per gram (the lowest energy content of all the so-called macronutrients). It is possible that you are stressed and are seeking comfort in food, or that your brain serotonin levels are low. To boost brain serotonin levels it helps to eat plain carbohydrates or low-fat proteins, both of which should not cause weight gain. If you are stressed then get some professional help from a clinical psychologist.

2
Posted by: X | 2010-03-05

I agree with dietdoc, but I think you may also be eating too little fat. Fat is the main ingredient in meals that makes one feel satisfied. Are you adding nuts, avocado and olives to your salads? Or just eating these as snacks? If not, add a small hand full of nuts / olives and 1/2 or a whole avocado to your menu (do not replace anything - add it). Raw almonds with a couple of chopped dried appricot or peach halves tastes excellent with oats and it also go well with All-bran flakes. O - and change to full cream diary - it''s the healthiest kind as it doesn''t have added sugars to make it taste better like the low-fat and skim versions. It will also make you feel more satisfied.

Reply to X
Posted by: DietDoc | 2010-03-04

Dear Louisa