Posted by: boo | 2009-07-03

Hi doc firstly thanks for answering all my posts! I had a look at the epilim to me its a drug loaded with to many side effects and besides that my psych is using it as a trial on me I am not willing to take it Im looking to get a 2nd opinion from another psych besides being an asshole my current psych never tried any other ssri or any safer alternative on me, since the time ive seen him ive been on cipramil and he insisted that Im imagining that its not working because Ive complained that I dont find it effective is there a difference in switching from one ssri to another? Or are they all the same? I was once on aropax long ago by another psych it worked wonders for me Im wondering maybe if I switch to it my problem will be resolved Im seeing a new psych Dr Farouk Randeree to discuss this as Im sick of my current psych pumping me with meds! He doesnt even do CBT! Whats your take on alternative SSRIs besides citalopram, my gp did tell me luvox and aropax are good aswell, maybe you can guide me on other treatments so I can take it up with my new psych when I meet with him. I value your thoughts and opinion tremendously! BTW I just got up so I wasnt awake the whole night lol

In a sense EVERY time any of us takes a pill, it's an experiment --- when an athlete takes even a "legal" supplement, nobody can predict whether or not it will help him. You try it, accepting whatever risks might be involved, and see whether it helps YOU, because your personal metabolism isn't identical to that of anyone else. When you have a headache and take an aspirin or paracetamol, it might relieve the headache, or it might not. It might have helped last week's headache, but not today's one.
However, if you consider your current shrink an a-hole, and feel he hasn't tried simpler and more obvious alternatives, that is usually a good basis for going for a second opinion.
All SSRI's have broadly the same way of working, but any one may suit you better than others --- there are subtle differences, not altogether understood, which have significant differences in their benefits to any one of us -- which gives us more choices worth trying. It is inappropriate for a shrink to stick to one particular AD and blame the patient if it doesn't happen to seem to be working. ANY AD tends to work effectively in only around 70 % of those who try it, which is why there are various drugs on the market. If any one was 100 % effective every time, her's be no market for any of the others.
There are numerous SSRI's on the market, all of them similarly effective, all of them suiting one person better than another, so all are worth considering.
I think I know Dr Randeree, and I'm sure you will have a fruitful discussion. Pleasd to hear you weren't awake all; night. MY cat, having icovered that sleeping humans are an excellent alternative to a hot water bottle, sits and glares at me if I stay up too late, and is reluctant to allow me to get up too early in the morning.