Question
Posted by: Meohme | 2011-06-08

Alternative to Urbanol

Dear Doc

I am currently taking Urbanol for anxiety, and mostly take it only once or twice a week. At the moment I am going through a tough time, so need to take it more often, but I still feel very anxious and on the edge of ''losing it'' at times. is there something else I should rather take that will be more effective? I am also breastfeeding a 9 month old.

Urbanol is a benzo sedative used in treating anxiety ( and may be used in epilepsy ), and like its relatives, has a fairly rapid onset of action, so it can be taken occasionally when one is especially anxious.
It is NOT recommended for use during pregnancy OR during breast-feeding. It sounds as though you mau have been treated by a GP, but as your anxiety persists, it would be highly advisable for you to arrange to see a good local psychiatrist for a full assessment and a discussion of treatment options, which can include different meds AND CBT ( cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ). And the psychiatrist would be far better placed to assess and discuss the implications of different treatments in regard to breast-feeding.

1