Posted by: KTL | 2009-02-12

Alternative Diet Foods

Hello DietDoc

Thanks for providing us with all the information you do, this is a great site.
I am very keen to lose some weight. I have a BMI of 25 and would love to shed the excess kilos off my bum and thighs. My waist and upper body are failry slim just my lower tum and bum and then its all down hill from there!
I have read the diet section on eating good carbs to curb the chocolate cake cravings but I am clueless as to what carbs I can eat that will not give me an upset tummy, indigestion and heartburn. I find I can' t eat wheat cereals like mueslie, all bran, wheatbix. Just about all cerealy except rice crispies and cornflakes. If I eat anything else, I am bloated and suffering from heartburn and an upset tummy. I can' t eat provita' s or any crackers unless they are rye. Wholebread also gives me some problems. I find if I eat a sandwich for two days in a row it is fine but if I start eating it once a day everyday I get all crampy. So wheat in moderation is fine I just have to make sure it is not everyday of the week and with every meal.
So what other foods can I eat that can stop my chocolate cravings. I have tried eating fruit all day but it does not help. Even after a big and appertising meal I still look for something sweet.
I would say I do moderate excercise everyday. I have a toddler who I am running after all day. I also don' t have a maid so I have lots of housework to keep me on my feet and active. I also take my tot for walks etc so I am moving about. I would say I eat healthy, love veggies and always include them in a meal even if it is pasta I will throw something green in. I hate deep fried foods and burgers etc. I do enjoy pasta' s though, bad I know!!!
Please point me in the right direction as far as carbs go though. I want to ensure my diet is well balanced.
Thank you for you time.

Dear KTL
Thanks so much for your kind comments. My Readers are making my day today (it was a pretty blue one before I got all your kind messages). From what you say, you either have a wheat intolerance or allergy (consider having your dr check this out with some tests as the symptoms can get worse with repeated exposure). High-carb foods with a low-GI which do not contain wheat are alas not plentiful, but here is a list: rye breads (experiment which ones you can eat - perhaps rye bread with 30% wheat will still agree with you, otherwise stick to 100% rye) and rye crackers; brown rice; pasta made from Durum wheat (not wholewheat by the way as this may make your symptoms worse); sweet potatoes (rich in dietary fibre with a low-GI); other vegetables and fruit. Because you have this problem with wheat and many standard 'diet' foods are not suitable for you, you can reduce your energy intake by having low- or fat-free versions of foods that agree with you thus saving on energy intake (you save 37 kJ for every 1 gram of fat you don't eat). Use fat-free yoghurt, cottage cheese, milk and lean meat, fish and eggs together with your non-wheat carbs, fruits and veggies. Then do cardio exercises to use up energy and also targeted exercises for those hips and buttocks (thigh rolls, etc). Fitness Doc will be able to give you some tips on exercises that target the hips and bottom.
Good luck with the programme