Question
Posted by: Neville | 2011/01/20

Alternative bulking supplement to Wheat Bran

I have been diagnosed with Acid Reflux. As such I have been told to avoid all wheat products. Suffering from a sensitive stomach, I really relied on wheat bran and All Bran to give my stool bulk. Since I had to cut out these products due to the fact that they contain wheat, my stool is thinner and I am leaning towards constipation. What alternative is there to Wheat Bran to ensure " bulking"  of my stool (not medicine please).
Thanks so much for your time !

Dear Neville
To ensure regularity one should have a reasonably high insoluble dietary fibre intake. The best source of insoluble dietary fibre is wheat bran and whole wheat products, but you say that you can't eat them. In such a case you can try using foods rich in soluble dietary fibre such as oats and oat bran, fruits (both fresh and dried) and vegetables to assist regularity.
I hope this helps

1

Dear Neville
I hope this helps