Alsation dogs - underweight

Hi there Cybervet ,
My parents adopted 2 alsations from the SPCA and they were severely underweight when they got them and since then , they have dewormed them , they feed them chicken ( cooked) every night with pellets , but they dont seem to pick up weight at all...
any advice?

Dear Anon

I'm not psychic unfortunately, maybe best to go to your vet?

Alsationa are very active dogs as well... I have 2 myself...I doesn' t matter how much u feed them  if they run around all they won' t pick up any weight...

Posted by: Chill | 2009-06-25

You don' t say what the dogs are eating (brand?) or how much, or HOW underweight they are.

It does take a while for severely undernourished dogs to pick up weight. Please resist the temptation to give them richer foods - in fact, if they are getting quality pellets, then even the chicken isn' t necessary - rather give them extra pellets, since they contain complete nutrition.

German Shepherds do sometimes suffer from ' sterile gut'  syndrome, which means in essence that they don' t have the required bacteria in their gut to help digest their food properly - ie, a lot of nutrients can get lost.

If you think this could be a problem, take a small, fresh stool sample from each dog to your vet, and request an analysis - shouldn' t cost too much, they do it themselves (ie, not at a laboratory).

You could also go and get a tub of Protexin, which is a white probiotic powder - each dog should have a SMALL amount every day - like, a quarter teaspoon. Try this for a month or so and see if it helps.

For the rest: a thin dog is preferable to a fat one, especially when it comes to breeds prone to joint problems. So don' t be in too much of a hurry to ' fatten'  them up!

Reply to Chill