Posted by: Liza | 2009-09-10

Already feeling down and now this...

It might not be a big issue for most people - but my cat (who was lodging with my sister in Pretoria) had to be put down this morning. He picked up a virus somewhere that caused internal bleeding. The vet said that it would cost almost R1000 to treat him with only a 30% chance of survival. I' m sitting at my desk swallowing tears right now. I just hope this isn' t going to trigger a depressive episode. I' ve already had a depressive episode and 2 manic episodes this year.

And to top it all off, my medical aid is exhausted after they incorrectly informed me that additional consultations would be covered from Scheme benefits (not day-to-day benefits). Then they went and deducted the additional consultations from my day-to-day benefits anyway. When I complained, Discovery told me that only the psychotherapy sessions were approved from Scheme benefits and not the psychiatry sessions that were billed for. The request for additional consultations contained 5 consultations on the psychiatry code, and 5 on the psychotherapy code. And complaining to the council for medical schemes is an exercise in futility. I' ve done that in the past and received absolutely zero feedback.

I wish I could crawl into a hole and hide away. It is extremely difficult to stay seated at my desk, showing everybody who passes the ' happy face' . I haven' t felt like I was using the ' happy face'  since February this year with my last depressive episode. And holding back tears is causing my nose to run and giving me a headache. If the bathrooms were soundproof I' d be hiding out and giving free reign to my tears right now...

Sorrt to hear about all this. Losing a cat, as I know only too well from experience, is a genuine bereavement. They do seem at times to pick up nasty viruses. One of ours survived a couple of weeks near death when we nursed him through it, only to disappear, some months later, and we never did find out what happened to him, whether killed or stolen. ANyone who hasn't had such a companion can't appreciate what a sad loss this is. And as Rick says, they are utterly honest. My latest cat has been discovering that she's rather fond of me even when I'm not actually feeding her or providing other services ; but otherwise never pretends or fakes how she feels or responds.
It's a pity there isn't an effective ombudsman to revue lousy decisions of medical aids, especally when, as in this case, they apparently either made the primary mistake themselves or failed to inform you properly. The council has too many blurred roles to do this function properly.
Try not to let these misfortunes grind you down into another depression. Right now its tearful and gloomy, but sad for a reason / bereaved, rather than depressed.

Posted by: Rick | 2009-09-10

Im so sorry for your kitty, I love cats and had to put one of mine down a few years ago, she got sick with the feline aids virus at 9months, so I know just how you feel. Do yourself a favour and get another kitty, they are so awesome to have in our lives and they surely can help you feel better about yourself. An aminals love for you is unconditional and perfectly honest all the time, ok , you will have to work hard for your kittyls love.

Reply to Rick