Question
Posted by: Marike | 2010/02/11

Alpha hydroxy acid and caffeine products

Hi Doc, please advise how fruit acids in facial products can be good for you? My skin goes all red after I use it and cannot think that any form of ' acid'  - regardless of how fruity, can be good? Also, i see most eye creams have caffeine in. Is this good in the long run?

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Marike, thank you for the question.

There are a number of reasons why alphahydroxy acids (in particular glycolic acid) are effective in helping the skin ‘stay younger’.
Glycolic acid has been extensively researched by various independent dermatologists worldwide and further in depth information can be found on my webpage (www.dralek.co.za) or go directly to http://www.aestheticfacialenhancement.co.za/faq/50-chemical-acid-peels/298-glycolic-acid-peels.html or use the search function to find even more information on other chemical peels.

Certain alphahydroxy and betahydroxy acids (unlike glycolic acid) can cause the skin to turn red after their application and this is one of the reasons why we tend only to use NeoStrata’s Glycolic Peeling system in our practice.

Furthermore there may be other reasons for the redness you are experiencing such as Rosacea or the use of retinoid topicals.

Caffeine has been found to help reduce the puffiness around the eye and these small amounts should not be detrimental in the long run.

1
Posted by: anti-ageing expert | 2010/02/14

Hi Marike, thank you for the question.

Reply to anti-ageing expert