Posted by: Needyouradvice | 2011-11-04

Alopecia,Thyroid &  Soy Milk

I am a 30yr old white female- generally healthy but have a very sensitive immune system and suffer from bad allergies, eczema and asthma. Have done so all of my life.

I have had Alopecia on and off for the past 5yrs. Sometimes it goes away completely, then out of the blue a new patch will appear.

I have been told it could be a Biotin deficiency or Thyroid issues.

I have had a patch since April which is unchanged. Now 3 more patches are developing.

Over the past 2 weeks I have been drinking alot of Soya Milk with my meal replacement shakes (2 a day), which are also Soya based (Herbalife).

I recently read that Soya milk affects your thyroid.

How could I check this and what are your thoughts on this???

Expert ImageNatural health

see below on soya and the thyroid.

Ingestion of soya products simultaneously with thyroid hormones appears to reduce the absorption of the hormones. To be safe, people taking thyroid medication should not consume soya products within three hours of taking their medication. In addition, infants with congenital hypothyroidism given thyroid medication must not be given increased or reduced amounts of soya-based formula without consulting a pediatrician or pediatric endocrinologist.

Can soya affect your thyroid?

It's been known for years that phytoestrogens in soya depress thyroid function. In Japan, 1991 research showed that 30g of soya a day results in a huge increase in thyroid-stimulating hormone. This can cause goitre, hypothyroidism, and auto-immune thyroid disease.

It seems soya can affect the thyroid. Hair loss could also be contributed to stress, hormonal changes.

Kind regards
Dr Debbie