Question
Posted by: Penny | 2008/08/21

alopecia

I' ve been checked out by my doc and had blood tests and been diagonised with alopecia. I have have lost about about 25% of my hair in about 3 months. I' m a 61 year old female, self employed and on Evoral patches and small dose of cipramil. i' m feeling frantic - how do I cope with one side of my head bald? Do I get a wig ? Are transplants an option ? medication? how long will it last ? will my hair ever grow again? can I stop the loss ?- handfuls every time I wash my hair - who can I see ? is there a support group who can advise? HELP !

Hi Penny
Read this article for more info on Alopecia: http://www.medicinenet.com/alopecia_areata/article.htm
Dermatologists treat Alopecia with steroid injections in the scalp and Minoxidil. Most over the counter medications does not really help at all. In half of patients hair starts growing again within a year but there is no way to predict what it would do in an individual case. I think you should get yourself a wig as you will feel stressed to see clients if you don't feel comfortable with the hairloss. Stress and anxiety can actually increase the hair loss.
I am not aware of any support groups but I am sure you will find some if you google "alopecia areata"