Question
Posted by: Lost | 2008/06/19

Alopecia

I'm a 30yr old female and I've been suffering with Alopecia Areata for the better part of 8yrs now (I've lost almost 50% of the hair on my head, my eyebrows, eyelashes) and I've basically tried every form of medication available to no avail, it just continues to dissappear - I've done both topical and injected cortizone and every other over the counter product claiming to regrow hair.

I noticed an article on this site as follows:
How can I stop my hair from falling out?

Worried about losing your hair? You should be. Male pattern hair loss affects more than 50 percent of men by the age of 50. Fortunately there are treatments and preventative measures available.

Step 1.
Get all the facts first and learn about your hair today, before it's gone tomorrow. And then it's time to face the bald facts about losing your hair.

Step 2.
Hear what the experts have to say about Alopecia (the medical name for hair loss) and find out what treatments are available from medication to hair transplants.

Step 3.
There is one drug on the market that can stop hair loss in 99% of cases if it is taken early on in the disease and before the age of 50, read all about this baldness drug and hair loss in general.

Step 4.
Don't be fooled. Before you decide on a plan of action to tackle this not-so-hairy issue, wise up on what's true and what's not when it comes to balding. There are a lot of quacks out there waiting to prey on desperate bald men, so you should also be wary of promises to cure baldness.

Step 5.
Any questions? Ask our online-dermatologist, SkinDoc or if you prefer the natural route, ask our Natural Expert for alternative ways to combat hair loss.
________________
I am looking for any form of help as far as female pattern baldness or Alopecia Areata is concerned - PLEASE HELP!!!!

Dear Meryl
There are just 2 proven medications that helps to regrow hair: propecia and minoxidil. The drug used in Propecia is used for enlarged prostrates and can't be used by women. Minoxidil can be used by men and women. It stimulates hairgrowth but is expensive and needs to be used constantly. Alopecia areata is thought to be an autoimmune disorder in which the body attacks its own hair follicles and suppresses or stops hair growth. In this case only suppressing your own immunity will make a difference in the disease. I know this sounds funny but you should maybe see a rheumatologist ( they are specialists in auto immune diseases) as you may need more specialized treatment. Please let me know in which area you live and I can maybe give you a name of someone nearby?

3
Posted by: Nicole | 2009/05/18

I have been diagnosed with PCOS, I am currently taking Glucophage and Ginette for about 3 weeks now, and my hair is falling out. I have a couple of bald spots on my head. What is causing it? and how can I treat it, to prevent more hairloss and to encourage regrowth?

Reply to Nicole
Posted by: Joe | 2009/03/31

can you advise on treatments for this problem that will fall under cover by medical aids. They argue it is cosmetic of nature...

Reply to Joe
Posted by: Penny | 2008/08/21

I' ve been diagonised with alopecia. I' m feeling frantic - how do I cope with one side of my head bald? Do I get a wig ? Are transplants an option ? medication? how long will it last ? will my hair ever grow again? can I stop the loss ?- handfuls every time I wash my hair - who can I see ? is there a support group who can advise? HELP !

Reply to Penny