Question
Posted by: Emma | 2011/05/25

Alone and broke

I have not been well of late because of an underactive thyroid. I am now taking Eltroxin and I am slowly feeling better. At my last visit my GP said I should go for biokenetics and also see a phsygologist as I am in a slump and need to be active again. However I do not have the money to do as she suggested. Lack of money = lack of motivation. Why should I bother, I live alone and I am 54, who cares if I am fit or not? My life is such a drag and there is never enough money - a new job is not an option for a disabled 54 year old woman. I know I need help of some sort but I don''t know where to find help and understanding for my situation. My ex husband said I am a waste of space, now I believe him.

If you truly have an underactive thyroid, ythis should be assessed and initially treated by a proper specialist physician, and not only a GP. Biokinetics and physiologists have no place whatever in treating hypothyroidism. I can't imagine why anyone would be sent to see either of those non-medical folks in such a situation.
If you can't afford to see a consultant physician in general medicine you should be able to arange to see one at your nearest teaching hospital / medical school or other major state / provincial hospital.
Your ex-husband is mean, malicious and ignorant - and people like that might be a waste of space, while you are definitely not so.
Remember, low thyroid function can both mimic depression and help to cause depression, so that too needs to be assessed and potentially treated

3
Posted by: Laurie | 2011/05/26

Dont be so rude about yourself! God thought you were valuable enought to walk this earth, how can you question that? Your just going through tough times, but its not the end of the world. Speak to a counsellor or therapist so they can help get you back on track. Good luck.

Reply to Laurie
Posted by: Mrs P | 2011/05/25

You are not a wate of space ! You are God''s creation, and God would never ever create a waste of space. Your ex husband had no right to demean and belittle you like that.

If you believe in God (even if you dont), then I suggest that you read Joel Osteen''s book " it''s your time" . I have learned so much about not just prayer, but how to live in general. Prophesying positive things into my life instead of negative, the rewards of helping others in need and the very important principle of reaping what you sow.

It might seem that no one cares, but, I promise you, that is not true. You just need to change how you think. A good psychologist to help you regain your self esteem is a very, very good idea.

I will keep you in my prayers, and I wish you all the best.

Reply to Mrs P