Question
Posted by: Ingrid | 2010/02/08

alone

I have two dogs cross between a maltese and -|- er spaniel, My dogs are 13 yrs old and I have recently (3 weeks ago)moved from a house to a town house with a very small garden. I can see that this is making my dogs very unhappy and confused as they were used to the large yard and they could see out the gate..also see me going out and coming home. ..I have to go to work everyday so they are left on their own..I do take them for a walk when I get home which they love. Will they eventually adapt ? I feel so sorry for them.

Dear Ingrid

They should. buy a DAP diffuser to settle them down a bit.

2
Posted by: Cybervet | 2010/02/11

Dear Ingrid

Reply to Cybervet
Posted by: steph | 2010/02/08

I have two dogs that are about the same size as your maltese, and we moved to Scotland where I cannot leave them in the garden all day due to sub zero temperatures so they stay indoors in the daytime. at first they seemed to be confused, but things have settled down well.

I make sure i take them for a walk before i leave in the morning, and then again when I get home. They have settled well and are happy enough now. I suspect that part of this is due to their advanced age, they are the same age as your chaps. Perhaps if its possible leave the doggie door open for your guys to come in and out as they please when you are not there? Remember, there are very few dogs that will actually go out into the garden to exercise themselves, you need to do that. i suspect they are just unsettled at the move in itself. try to establish a routine and walk them before you leave, even if its just around the block, a little outing will get rid of excess energy and they should settle well. and another walk when you get home and they' ll be fine i am sure :)

Reply to steph