Posted by: Martie | 2013-02-11

Aloe Berry Nectar

Dear Doc
My friend is a vegetarian, and has iron deficiency anemia. She does not make an effort to take iron or vitament supplements.
Someone in the office has not decided to do something about what she sees as the shortfalls in my friend''s diet and is selling her Aloe Berry Nectar. On the ingredients list it only says it contains some carbs and sodium and 0 protein.
The person told my friend it will help with her energy levels.
Please advise if this is a good investment of my friend''s money.
Thanks so much

Dear Martie
If the Aloe Berry Nectar does not contain any iron, then it will not help your friend with her iron deficiency anaemia and would be a waste of money. I would recommend that your friend with the iron deficiency anaemia should take an iron supplement such as Ferro-folic which provides iron and folic acid (the latter helps with the uptake of the iron). She should also eat egg yolks if she is not a strict vegetarian and legumes, plus cereals and breads which are fortified with iron (in South Africa, all wheat bread and maize meal is fortified with iron among other nutrients). If she drinks a glass of orange juice with her iron-fortified breakfast cereals or maize meal porridge, the vitamin C in the orange juice will also help her to absorb the iron. If the anaemia becomes too debilitating, she needs to consult a medical doctor who may give her intravenous iron.