Question
Posted by: Patricia | 2010/06/22

Almost fainted after getting blood drawn

The other day I had blood drawn for a regular checkup of cholesterol levels, blood sugar levels etc and, knowing I always feel dizzy, I had told myself this time I would try to be strong. So I looked away and everything was going well until I felt an emptiness in my stomach all of a sudden and I felt very dizzy. I had to lie down for a couple of minutes and then I left when I felt normal again. But then i went to the pharmacy to get some juice and I felt like I was about to faint again. I had to lie on the floor.

Is this a normal physical reaction or is it all psychological? It had never been this bad before. By the way, the patient after me who got the same nurse as me felt very dizzy too, but not some other patient who got the other nurse. Also, I got a big bruise on my arm after, which had never been this big before either.

Well, now what worries me most is that 5 days after this, I was at a friend''s house and I thought I was about to faint. Then I ate a chocolate bar and I felt fine. And today (2 days later), before having breakfast, I felt the same again. I''ve had occasions throughout the last 6 years when I''ve felt dizzy and people have made jokes about a possible pregnancy, which wasn''t the case because I was a virgin still. But I feel these episodes are getting terribly frequent now. Too little sleep and long hours of work might play a role. Could they be the only reason?

I hope it''s not diabetes. Everything else I could handle better.

Hallo Patricia
Getting dizzy after a blood draw could be a autonomic nervous reaction and is not dangerous. The bruise is caused because you should put pressure on the vein after drawing blood and she may not have done this long enough to give the blood a chance to clot. The other dizziness you experience may be due to low blood pressure (a feeling that you are going to pass out) or a middle ear problem ( vertigo or a feeling of the earth turning around you) It can also be caused by iron deficiency anemia or heart arrythmias, so maybe you should have a proper medical check up.
dr Bets

2
Posted by: Patricia | 2010/06/22

I forgot to say I''m 25, my BMI is 18.5, usual blood pressure is 120/70 or so, slightly lower in the Summer (which we have right now). And my job requires me to always move around plus I bike a lot on the weekends. No history of diabetes or any serious diseases except for cancer in my family.

Reply to Patricia
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/06/22

Hallo Patricia
dr Bets