Question
Posted by: Fiona | 2011/09/26

Almonds

Dear Diet Doc

I have a crazy adiction to almonds. I am on a healthy balanced eaating plan and havent cheated for 3 weeks except for last week wher I had 2 packets of 100grams almonds..my weigh in dint go so well this morning..could that be becasue of the almonds??
are they fat or protein?

Dear Fiona
According to the SA Food Tables, dried, blanched almonds contain 2451 kJ of energy and 52.5 g of fat per 100g. Almonds and other nuts are healthy foods, but they contain a lot of fat even although most of the fat is healthy monounsaturated fat. Almonds and other nuts also have a high energy content due to their high fat content. In contrast to their fat content, almonds only contain 20.4 g of plant protein per 100 g, so one would basically classify them as fats and a portion would therefore be 1 tablespoon (15g) or less. By eating 2 packets of 100g of almonds you ingested an extra 4902 kJ of energy last week, which could easily have hampered your weightloss. Try to eat small portions of almonds and not every day if you want to maintain your progress.

1

Dear Fiona