Posted by: Miemie | 2009-06-05

I just want to know the following: Whenever I eat popcorn I have diarrhea and cramps. I stopped eating popcorn, but every now and then I take about a handful of it from my kids and the same happens. Furthermore, I' ve found that my stomache is very sensitive to greenpepper, onions, garlic and oil as well, but I think that is quite common. What puzzles me is that I ate 2 types of muesli and then my blood pressure drops every time almost immediately afterwards and red flushes in my face. I know that I am also allergic to sulfa. Is there any way that I could have an allergy or intolerance to corn/wheat etc.

Dear Miemie
It is perfectly possible to be allergic to a variety of different allergens, so you may react to sulpha drugs and foods containing sulphur such as dried fruit (which could be giving you that reaction with the muesli) and at the same time have a wheat/maize/gluten allergy. If on the other hand, you don't react to eating wheat bread or maize meal porridge, then I would not suspect wheat/gluten/maize allergy. The only way to find out it to have tests arranged by your dr. The other reactions you list to green pepper, onions and garlic are possibly due to irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). When you see the dr about the allergy tests, discuss this possibility of IBS with him/her and if you should be diagnosed with this condition then please consult a clinical dietitian who will work out a specific diet for your condition. (Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). Your doctor will also be able to prescribe medicines which can relieve the flatulence such as Bevispas, so chat to your doctor about such medications.