Question
Posted by: Anton Cilliers | 2010/05/19

Allergy to Beer

Hi, I have an allergic reaction when I drink beer. Recently I have been eating oats for brakfast and I have a blocked, runny nose most of the time. I would like to know the following:

1. Is there maybe an ingredient in both beer &  oats that triggers the allergy?
2. For how long must I stop eating oats to elliminate it as a possible allergy trigger?

Thx
Anton

Dear Anton
It is difficult to pinpoint which ingredient in beer and oats could be causing your allergic reaction. Beer contains so many ingredients and additives that predictions, without actual allergy testing, are just guesswork. You don't mention if drinking beer also causes a blocked, runny nose? If you experience the same reaction to beer and oats, then it is possible that you have a sensitivity to a grain protein because beer is made from barley which is known to contain similar proteins to wheat, rye, oats, barley, spelt, kamut, and titricale. If you eliminate oats from your diet for about 10 days to 2 weeks and your symptoms clear up, and then you reintroduce oats and your symptoms recur, then it is relatively certain that you are reacting to oats. You would then have to cut out oats from your diet for the future if you want to avoid the symptoms. The best approach is to ask your doctor to arrange allergy tests for you to see if you have so-called 'cross-reactivity' with the above mentioned cereals.

1

Dear Anton