Posted by: linros | 2009-10-16

Allergy tests &  glyco nutrients

I have 2 questions please

First question:
I have suffered from allergies since a child - I can remember drinking the little red polaramine tablets since I was about 4! I have seen through every day living that I' m allergic to dust, pollen, feathers, cats &  dog hair. I always seem to have a bit of phlem as well. My dietician recommended I do food allergy tests as she suspects that diary is something that is adding to the allergies.
Where &  how do I go about getting tested for allergies? Are there blood tests available or must I go to some specialist?

Second question:
My father lives in Australia and has suggested I should start taking Mannatech products as it has glyco nutrients (they are available in South Africa as well). Apparently these supplements contain glyco nutrients that we don' t get sufficient quantity of for our normal diet. He said that these supplements are really helpful for people with arthritis, diabetes, etc (I have arthritis in the neck - C6/C7 spondylosis). I am an avid reader of health related info and have never heard of these glyco nutrients.
Have you ever heard of these supplements/ glyco nutrients and would it benefit me? I am wary of supplements in general due to all the fake ones out there.
The supplements &  vitamins I currently take on a daily basis are:
1000mg Omega 3
900mg Vitamin C (the Patrick Holford Immune C)
Multivitamin (Advanced Optimum Nutrition Formula by Patrick Holford)

Thank you very much for your help:-)

1. You can consult an allergy specialist to have the appropriate tests or even your GP will be able to draw blood to have allergy testing done. There is an extremely wide variety of allergy testing. This will surely shed some light to which food products, as well as preservatives that you are allergic to. These tests are also very useful to tell which environmental factors you are allergic to.

2. Glyconutrients are the new "BUZZ" word in food supplements. Surely they cannot do any harm and the effects are very subjective. Your current vitamin regime in my opinion, is very adequate. Glyconutrients are expensive but you can try it and see if there is any positive effects.