Posted by: Kaye | 2009-07-28

Allergy Immunotherapy

For the past four years I' ve had severe seasonal pollen allergy (hayfever) that seems to be getting worse. I don' t want to stay on medication for half the year and picked up a pamphlet on treatment options in my pharmacy.

Immunotherapy sounds like something I' d like to find out more about. Is it widely available in South Africa? Will I need to chat to a allergy specialist or could I speak to my GP about it? How effective is it?

Thank you very much for your help.

Dear Kaye
It is quite effective if you are just allergic to one or two allergens. Ask your GP to refer you to an allergy specialist. You could call the allergy society to find the nearest one to you (+27 (0)21 - 4479019)