Posted by: Kyla | 2009-05-04

Allergy and smelly dog

I have a 9 year old pom. She is forever having skin problems, i.e. scratching and very smelly. (She also have a heart condition and is on heart tabelets for the rest of her life )I bath her once a week, but within 4 days she smells. What can I do?

Dear Kyla

Take her to the vet and have her anal glands checked. Use a medicated shampoo like Pyoderma a few times a week.

Hi there, if your dog has heart problems he/she may well also have liver problems so you might try putting the pet on milk thistle tabs to help it deal with the meds for his heart, you could try essentialle, but ASK your vet first !

Posted by: Chill | 2009-05-04

Sounds to me you' re bathing her far, far too often. Doing that will upset the PH balance of her skin, and stimulate oil production, since you' re removing the natural oils that serve to protect the skin.

Having said that - she may well have a yeast infection called malassezia - that is characterised by a not too pleasant odour. Google it, then if you think it fits, talk to your vet.

Reply to Chill