Question
Posted by: Ruth | 2011-06-28

Allergy

Good day Dr.,

My son scraches himself every night since he was 5 months old. It has started on the ankle and " anti-leg"  and arms. Now it is on the abdomen and back leaving spots and wounds wich never heals because he keep scracthing every area. I´ ve made him twice the allergy tests and found nothing and no doctor here in Mozambique can tell me what causes this painfull itching, I don´ t sleep while he is scratching and he is 34 months old now.

I´ ve take the initiative of cutting off some foods, like seafood, some king of milk for about 9 months now, just to see if it continues and it keeps going on. Now I´ m re-introducing that food again and get nowhere.

Please tell me how to redeeem this situation, it is getting me crazy, because it seems like forever he will live like this and is anacceptable.

Thank you!!

Dear Ruth
From what you say about your poor son's condition, he could well suffer from a whole range of skin conditions that are not affected by food allergy at all. You have discovered for yourself that cutting out food like seafood and milk and having allergy tests done, did not help. Is there any way that you could bring your son to South Africa to be examined by a Dermatologist??? He could be an atopic child, or have eczema or even contact dermatitis caused by something as innocent as the soap or washing powder used to wash him and his clothes. I don't know where you live in Mozambique, but there are Dermatologists in Nelspruit which is relatively close to the border of your country. You or your local doctors would have to contact the Dermatologists to arrange a visit before you undertake the journey.
Please consider this option of getting a Dermatological assessment and treatment because your child must be suffering so severely.
I will hold thumbs that you can arrange a visit and that the drs will be able to diagnose and treat your son. In the meanwhile please don't remove foods from his diet without supplementing the missing nutrients (e.g. when you remove milk and dairy products it is necessary to give growing children a calcium supplement to ensure that their bones and teeth can continue growing).

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2011-06-28

Dear Ruth