Question
Posted by: Ang | 2009-02-10

allergy

My son has just been diagnosed with a sever allergy to Soya and Sodium Benzoad. he is currently In hospital, and I am starting to wonder what can I feed him when he is home ?

Dear Ang
I am so sorry to hear that you son has severe soya and sodium benzoate allergies. It is tricky to put together a diet that avoids these 2 food components because so many processed foods contain soya as an ingredient and sodium benzoate as a preservative. Depending on your son's age (?) it may be safer to have a a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), compile a soya-benzoate-free diet for the lad that still ensures healthy growth despite avoidance of so many foods. To read more about food allergies click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Allergy & intolerance'. You can also contact the Allergy Association by visiting their Website at: www.allallergy.net to find out more about allergies. For recipes you can try the 'South African Cookbook for Food Allergies & Food Intolerance" by Hilda Lategan. Contact Hilda Lategan, who is also a dietitian, on (012) 546-6410) or send her an e-mail at: mwhildal@mweb.co.za .