Question
Posted by: anon | 2008/08/28

ALLERGY

HI doc, wonder if u could help please. my mom has recently had these sudden allergic reactions which has caused a tongue to swell one day to twice the size in her mouth, to her eyes swelling, and getting funny red blotches on a body. She has been to a doc who is put her on antihistemine tabs and seems to work a few days then it starts again. She has had some blood test done (fbc)
and came back negative to foods and so fort. It has been so difficult to determine what is actiually casuing this type of reaction.
she is not eating anything out of the ordinary, we cant pin point is it something in the air, plants or so fort. is there any place i could take her to check this out maybe a allergy specialist or something.
Apparently a heomoglobin levels are a bit high but she took the test on the day she had the allergic reaction bad so the doc told us that is why it rflects so high. Im just worried as to why is this happening suddenly. She has never suffred from allergic reactions in this way. She is allergic to penicilin and sulphur and sherefrains from any medication that has these substances.
so what could this be ? please help

Dear Anon
Please check the foods and especially fruit juices and cooldrinks - sulphur is often used in foods as a preservative as suphate, sulphur dioxide (SO2) or metabisulphite. If you let me know in which area you live I could maybe refer you to an allergy clinic?