Question
Posted by: MICHELLE | 2011/11/15

ALLERGIES - WHEAT, GLUTEN, LACTOSE

I NEED TO FIND SOME EATING PLAN WITH REGARDS TO ALL MY ALLERGIES THAT WILL NOT AFFECT ME

Dear Michelle
I am so sorry to hear that you are allergic to wheat/gluten and lactose because this can makes life most problematic. In view of the complexity of a wheat/gluten and dairy-free diet I would recommend that you consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will provide you with an individual diet prescription that avoids the foods you are intolerant or allergic to and also ensures that you don't develop deficiencies (e.g. calcium if you need to avoid all milk and dairy products; vit B complex if you have to avoid all wheat/gluten). Click on 'Diet & Nutrition' at the top of this page and then on 'Allergy & Intolerance' to read more about milk and wheat/gluten allergy. You can also contact the Allergy Association by visiting their Website at: www.allallergy.net to find out more about intolerances and allergies. For recipes you can try the 'South African Cookbook for Food Allergies & Food Intolerance" by Hilda Lategan. Contact Hilda Lategan, who is also a dietitian, on (012) 546-6410) or send her an e-mail at: mwhildal@mweb.co.za .

1

Dear Michelle