Question
Posted by: Wakey Wakey | 2009-07-23

Allergies - Intermittent Waking Up

Hi SE

I am allergic asthmatic (43 year old female). Been on corticosteriods all my life. I take Seratide 50/500 one puff twice a day and have just switched from Budeflam Aquenase to Nasonex. Intense hoarse throat, Reflux, Oral Thrush ongoing. My GP said it is Sleep Apnea (excuse spelling) as I have become aware of waking up gasping for breath. My nose is always blocked, the bane of my life. I also developed Reflux. He put me onto Nexium. Sorting or Sorted. Probiotics. As soon as I go off them the Oral thrush is back. I gargle religiously and then spray my throat with Colloidal Silver (really helps). Nasonex helping. 1 x Allecet at night. I seem to be better, but 1)I expect this will only be whilst I am on the meds? I started to have panic attacks and he said that when you stop breathing your body automatically rights you into the recovery position hence stiff neck muscles and a heavy shot of adrenalin. 2)I do wake up alarmed so to speak and experience that rush of adrenalin - what can I do about it? 3)I heard that this pattern is bad for the heart? My doctor told me its not dangerous as you will automatically wake up if you stop breathing, but I find that scary. 4)Please once and for all tell me if eating dairy products does block your sinuses and cause phlegm?

The other thing is that he said my nostrils are very narrow and i could have the op to widen them but that it would not really work because I have underlying allergies. I never get away with less than 4 cort injections and 4 doses of Prednisone per year. But, this time we are trying with the new nasal spray and the Allecet (having a bad patch).

I am just so frustrated over my nose and the way it interrupts my sleep. They treat the allergies so what else can I do? I do sleep more upright than most people (2 pillows) I think naturally do to the Asthma.

He suggested a sleep clinic. I am out of medical aid and I really can' t afford this. Other than what he has done for me what would they establish and be able to do?

I do wake up tired and with headaches and he said its all part of it.

Expert ImageSleep Expert

I would suggest that your first port of call should be a lung specialist. Ask your GP for a referral.

You will first need to ensure that your chest is under control, and you need some expert advice. He will also be able to advise you whether or not you are a candidate fro sleep apnoea.

A sleep clinic will be able to diagnose sleep apnoea, and help with its treatment. However, it is quite a costly exercise, and a visit to a lung specialist is really your first step.

1
Posted by: sanele | 2009-08-19

i scretching my body for allergy what can i do to heal it

Reply to sanele