Question
Posted by: Renee Van Diemen | 2011/05/17

Allergies

Hi just recently discovered that my partner is alergic to sulpha. I need to know if you could forward me a list regarding food, drink''s in cluding alcohol and other information that will make his allergies bearable.

Your immediate responses will be much appreciated.

Kind Regards.
Renee.

Dear Renee
I am sorry to hear that you partner is allergic to sulphur. I don't have a list of foods that contain sulphur on this website, but basically all foods that contain sulphur dioxide as a preservative (e.g. dried fruit, some fruit juices, and many commercial products - so check on the labels), should be avoid. Sulphur dioxide is added to most wines, but esp white wines, during the manufacturing process, so your partner may be safer if he avoids all wines. Clear spirits should not contain SO2. When you check on labels, look for words like sulphur, sulphur dioxide, sulfite, and sulphate. Woolworths sell certain dried fruits that are not preserved with sulphur dioxide, which is then stated on the label. Many medications also contain sulphur, so every time a doctor prescribes any medication for your partner or if you buy over-the-counter meds and/or cosmetics, he needs to tell the dr and the pharmacist that he is allergic to sulphur.
I hope this helps

1

Dear Renee
I hope this helps