Question
Posted by: Peas | 2011-04-14

Allergies

Hi Doctor,

My family is suffering from what I think are allergies. Every winter in the area where we live, we get major pollution from a local paper manufacturing plant. The air smells putrid in winter, I have heard it is because the wind patterns change then.

My husband says his chest feels tight and he cannot take in full breaths. He has a bad post nasal drip which he chokes on.

My two boys aged 2 and 4 also have a bad mucous problem.

I have itchy skin and constant sneezing.

I have given my husband Allecet. Is there anything else I can do, besides moving province?

Thank you.

Hallo Peas
If the symptoms are due to allergens in the air you can't really do anything to avoid it except move! Let your GP have a look at the family - if it is an allergic rhinitis causing the post nasal drip/runny noses/sneezing taking a long acting antihistamine like Loratidine at night may help, together with cortisone nosespray like Beclate preventatively during the winter. It sounds as if your husband may also have some signs of asthma so he may need to go for a lung function test too.

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2011-04-14

Hallo Peas