Question
Posted by: Kate | 2009-07-27

Allergies

My 9 month old Lab x has a terrible rash on her tummy.
We have done a skin scraping with no sign of a parasite, my home is deflead with a low toxin flea powder every 2-3 months and I have had all the furinture and beds cleaned by a professional to rule out dust mites. I have even tried putting her on ostrich to rule out a protein allergy (she is raw fed).
I have changed her food bowl to a ceramic bowl.
The rash is just on her tummy , half way down her hind legs and a little under her tail.
I have out of sheer desperation given her 2 allergex one night and that did nothing to stop the licking and scratching.
This allergy only started after she was spayed.
Could it be a hormone imbalance?
It has been 3 months of try this for a week then try that to rule out the underlying cause but still it continues.
The rest of her coat is great, shiny and soft.

I can put her on a course of cortisone but she also has stage 2 hip dysplasia but weight control is very important.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated as we might have overlooked something.

Ta

Dear Kate

It sounds like you are dealing with a contact allergy. Give Efazol oil supplement daily for the rest of her life and allergex 1-2 tablets on a ongoing basis till the problem is solved. Allergis normally start at this age and have nothing to do with the spay.