Question
Posted by: Glenda | 2008/10/14

Allergies

I seem to be experiencing something very odd.... I gradually became " allergic"  to all alcohol which started with wine and now I cannot drink any alcohol at all.. What happens is that I have a huge sinus or hay fever attack when I do drink any alcohol which is rather unpleasant as it also leads to a huge headache and sinus block while my nose pores at the same time.... The problem is that I now also experience the same reaction after sex... Is this possible? Is it medical or is it mental? I am confused....

Dear Glenda
No it is not mental - dilated blood vessels (caused by alcohol or sex hormones) can cause a stuffy nose. You probably have a baseline allergy which now pushes your symptoms "over the edge" if another factor is added. Let your GP have a look - it may help to use a cortisone nasal spray preventatively.