Question
Posted by: NM | 2008/07/15

Allergies

Please can you help? I had an allergy test done at a homeopath the other day. He advised that I need to cut out sugar and anything containing sugar, wheat & yeast, coffee and all dairy. The problem is that this is very difficult for me as I do not have many options. Can you recommend any websites I can get meal plans from?

Dear NM
If the allergy test that was done for you did not involve taking a blood sample and having it analysed by a laboratory, then I doubt that the finding that you need to cut out all the listed foods is based on sound scientific fact. If you suspect that you may be allergic to one or other food (e.g. wheat and/or dairy products) then please have a proper allergy test done by a medical dr so that we can obtain a proper diagnosis. I would not like you to cut out essential foods like bread, cereals and dairy products without valid proof. Not only will this make your life difficult, but it will also deprive you of essential nutrients (for example milk and dairy products are our best source of readily available calcium in the diet). So do have a proper test done and if you do have an allergy then we can see which foods you do need to avoid. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Food-related diseases' to read the articles on food allergies. You can also visit the Website of the SA Allergy Association at: www.allallergy.co.za .

1
Posted by: NM | 2008/07/15

Also if he said stay away from sugar can I substitute with fructose?

Reply to NM