Question
Posted by: Cornel (Gesiggie) | 2012/02/23

All valves are failing...

Hi Doc,

I wonder if you can help me: I am female and 36yrs old and I have long medical history: had mitral valve repair in 2008 - due to severe mitral incompetence and that was caused by a defect in the segments supporting valves.

Now, 2 weeks ago, I had to undergo a " Nissen Fundoplication"  surgery to repair my LES and again that is a valve that failed me as I have 10cm of Barrets Esophagus sells and major symptoms whilst I was on 80mg Nexium for almost 6 yrs.

I also had a neck-fusion done in 2011 due to opteophytosis in my C5, 6, 7 and post-op report said that I had almost ZERO materials left and I now have titanium disks.

So now I am just wondering: why are all my valves failing? is it just coincidence or do I have something else in my blood/genes causing this?

Expert ImageCardiologist

Hi Cornel,

Thanks for the question. It is really not correct or fair to say “all my valves are failing” ….!! True, in 2008 you had to have a mitral valve repair. However the mitral valve is only one of four heart valves, and the other three have not needed repair and probably never will.

The Nissan fundoplication that you had two weeks ago was to deal with the problem of reflux from your stomach into the lower oesophagus, which was due to failure of the muscular “sphincter” between oesophagus and stomach. This sphincter is not really a valve, certainly not in the sense of the four heart valves, and to my knowledge there is no link between problems with the oesophageal sphincter and mitral valve failure. The neck fusion operation which you had in 2011 was necessary because of a cervical spondylosis or osteophytosis involving the neck vertebrae, where there are no valves.

You are correct that these are all degenerative conditions and it is unusual to have all three at the age of only 36. However, as far as I know there is no statistical link between them, in other words, because you have one it does not mean you are more likely to have any of the others.

You have had more than enough health trouble in the last three years and I hope this is the last of your problems!

Best wishes, JT

1
Posted by: Cardiologist | 2012/02/29

Hi Cornel,

Best wishes, JT

Reply to Cardiologist