Question
Posted by: Wendy | 2010/08/12

All in the mind?

I am a person thats stresses very quickly. I havent got too much stress at work but a little stress at home, just some financial things to sort out. Lately I have been getting a stiff back, back and shoulder pain, panic attacks and some short term memory loss. Can this be of stress? Sometimes need to think what I am stressing about coz I sometimes forget. I get so stressed up and start to panic, but need to remind myself why I am stressing. Am I freaking myself out, going crazy or overeacting? I drink muscle relaxer tablets to ease my backpain from the tension. I think I might be making myself crazy. The thing is. I sort out what is stressing me but still stress about it for about 2 days after the problem has been solved. Im 25 and feel like 45 by the way Im driving myself crazy. How can I help myself to relax without having to go see a shrink? Any advice will help. Thank you Doc. Kind Regards Wendy

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Wendy

Thank you for your question. Allot of patients have similar concerns, but not as severe at your age it seems.

You ask "Am I freaking myself out, going crazy or overreacting?" Most experts will give you a safe answers and beat around the bush, but instead my answer is a categorical YES.

Especially when you comment on points like this: "Sometimes need to think what I am stressing about because I sometimes forget" as memory often fails from chronic stress.

Muscle relaxant tablets will help you control the pain in the short term, but these can have their own side-effects and treating the pain is not the same as treating the cause of the pain, so it's not a great idea to take them too often.

You ask "How can I help myself to relax without having to go see a shrink?" The simple answer is to learn a practice that works in your life towards engaging the Relaxation Response, such as the one proposed by Harvard's Prof Benson.

We've developed a four module process called the StressFit program that has been published by Health Ins to stop stress related pathology and ensure healing. Please feel free to make contact. One of our slogans is-

Healing Before Prozac and Freud are needed :)

So ... My advice is what you asked for? I simply suggest that you call or email before symtoms become permanently debilitating as we have practitioners pretty much anywhere who also can consult via skype

Warmest, Justin
Dr Justin J. Kennedy
B.Soc.Sci; MSBC; PhD

1
Posted by: Stress Reduction Expert | 2010/08/12

Dear Wendy

Warmest, Justin
Dr Justin J. Kennedy
B.Soc.Sci; MSBC; PhD

Reply to Stress Reduction Expert